As our kids head back to school, we prepare them to make the most of classes and activities by investing in all the supplies, books, lessons, and sports gear they need to succeed. It’s easy to forget that nutritious food is just as important as any other element of success in school. Kids can’t reach their full potential without wholesome foods that fuel their minds and bodies.
The “junk-food” offerings in most school cafeterias have been well-documented by the media. Parents looking to give their children foods that will set them up for success need to look beyond the cafeteria. Homemade is healthier, but it doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Being creative and with these simple tips make it easier than ever to give your kids the nutrition-rich foods their bodies need.
- Get kids involved: bring your kids shopping and let them be a part of choosing what they’ll eat at lunchtime. There’s no better way to teach them to make healthy choices, and you can plan meals for the whole week together. At home, let them help prepare their lunch the night before so getting ready for school in the morning is less stressful.
- Leftover Lunchmeat: Pre-made deli meats are expensive and high in sodium. Make your own lunchmeat by slicing leftovers from dinner and keeping them ready-to-use in the fridge!
- Not-so-Boring Bread: Make everyday sandwiches more interesting by trying a wheat or sourdough bread, or better yet, a wrap. Choose whole-grain options whenever possible – they pack much more fiber and flavor than their counterparts.
- Use more Veggies: Every lunch needs color and crunch, and fresh vegetables are the perfect way to add some! Pack veggies with a healthy dip, such as hummus. Better yet, make a veggie wrap with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts, avocado and your favorite spreadable cheese.
- Spice up the sides: For a special treat, break away from apples and send a more unusual fruit such as plums, kiwi, pineapple, or melon. Choosing crunchy snacks can be challenging, because the snacks kids like the most are frequently the most nutritionally bankrupt. Try any of our Mediterranean Snacks products for a snack low in fat but big on taste. Our convenient 1-ounce bags are on sale through September 15th – just $15 for a case of 24 bags.