But don’t worry – you don’t have to be a Pharaoh to enjoy this special lentil soup. This soup is inexpensive and easy to make, and offers a wonderful twist on ordinary lentil stew.
This recipe makes 6-8 servings of soup.
First, gather these items:
• 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 large celery rib, diced
• 1 large carrot, diced
• 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
• 1 ¼ C. red or green lentils
• 2 qts. Vegetable broth
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp. turmeric
• 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus additional lemon slices to serve with soup
• Salt and pepper to taste
Next, follow these simple steps:
1. Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and heat the oil.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the oil and cook until fragrant – 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the celery and carrot and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the potato, lentils, and broth, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender – 40-50 minutes.
5. Puree the soup in batches, using a blender, or use and immersion blender to puree it directly in the pot.
6. Add cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve the soup hot with fresh lemon slices and pita bread.