Want to make your hummus creamier without added calories from lots of oil? Toni, has the solution! Her recipe won our recent Facebook Recipe Contest, and it uses yogurt to make hummus creamy and smooth, without adding fat. Try this delicious hummus dip for your next party or gathering!
To receive updates on future contests and prizes from Mediterranean Snacks, become a fan on Facebook.
- 3 cans chick peas, whole
- 1/2-3/4 Cup plain cultured yogurt
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil (or more depending on your own tastes)
- 3+ Tablespoon tahini paste (sesame seed paste)
- 2+ Tablespoon lemon juice - fresh is best (or more depending on your own tastes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon tumeric
- hot pepper flakes in oil - to taste (can be omitted)
- any dried herbs such as oregano, basil, corriander, mint, etc. can be added
- Rinse chick peas under cold water and peel outer paper-like skin. Discard ‘skins’ and liquid from cans. Place peas with yogurt in food processor and pulse until peas are a pasty consistency with small bits of peas (should look like chunky peanut butter).
- Also add to processor: Tahini Paste – hint: if your tahini is bitter, add 1 teaspoon honey, Salt and Pepper – to taste*, Tumeric, Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil – add it slowly, as you pulse the mixture, until it has the thickness you like (keep in mind that as it rests, the hummus will become thicker).
- All of the ingredients can be increased or decreased (leave it out if you don’t like it). For example, if you like a thinner hummus, add more yogurt (less calories), or more olive oil. Any finely crushed, dried herbs such as oregano, or basil, or corriander, mint, etc., can be added for the last few pulses of the processor. The flavors will meld while the hummus rests before serving.
- Scoop the hummus into your favorite serving dish and decorate the top, if you’d like, with hot pepper flakes, minced sun-dried tomatoes, or olives, that you’ve blended with olive oil.
- Let it set in the refrigerator 15-20 minutes, or 30-40 minutes if you've added dried herbs.
- Serve surrounded with Mediterranean Snacks™ Baked Lentil Chips & enjoy!!!
A suggestion is to decorate the top with minced sundried tomatoes or olives.