Layered Mexican dips make a wonderful, warm comfort food for cold winter months, but the calories and fat they contain are a healthy snacker’s nightmare. Sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and refried beans and tortilla chips are all high in fat and salt.
We’ve created a healthier version of this delicious dip that has all the great taste of its junk food cousin without the needless calories. Short on time? Try our quick and easy Light Guacamole!
For an even healthier twist, skip the tortilla chips and enjoy dipping our healthy and delicious Mediterranean Snacks™ Baked Lentil Chips.
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 recipe homemade light guacamole (see below)
- 1 Cup all-natural, low-salt salsa
- 2/3 Cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1 recipe homemade Light Guacamole (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the Greek yogurt with the cumin and cayenne and set aside.
- Place the beans in a microwave-safe dish and mash them with a fork. Microwave them 2-5 minutes and mash again to desired consistency.
- Spread the beans in the bottom of a shallow dish or casserole. Sprinkle half the cheese over the beans. Spread the Guacamole over the cheese . Spread the Salsa over the Guacamole . Spread the yogurt over the salsa and top with green onions and tomatoes. Top with the remaining cheese and fresh cilantro
- Bake the dip until it is warm all the way through.
- Serve with Mediterranean Snacks™ Baked Lentil Chips.
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- Jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
- Wear rubber gloves to seed and finely mince the Jalapeno pepper.
- Combine one half of the avocado in a food processor with the yogurt, onion, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and cumin. Process until smooth.
- Mash the remaining half of the avocado with a fork and combine it with the pureed avocado mixture.
- Gently fold in chopped tomatoes.