Halloween is one of those times where perfectly healthy eating is just about impossible – “treats” are an indispensible part of the childhood fun. Nevertheless, we shouldn’t completely forget about our long-term goals of helping our kids develop good eating habits. Here are some ideas to make your Halloween healthier this year without sacrificing fun.
Plan ahead: Moderation is the key to healthy eating habits. With a little planning, you can help your kids apply this lesson to their Halloween candy.
• Eat before you go. Have a healthy, balanced meal before stepping out the door to trick-or-treat. With full tummies, kids will be less likely to gorge on candy.
• Spread out the candy. Have kids eat a few pieces of candy each day, rather than devouring it all at once.
Change your treat: Think kids only like sugar and fat laden candy? Think again!
• Think small. Hand out smaller, all-natural candies
• Try a toy. Whether creepy, cool, or fun, kids will enjoy receiving a small toy as their treat.
• Grab a snack! Our Mediterranean Snacks 1-ounce bags are the perfect size for trick-or-treating. They’re low in fat and packed with flavor and crunch kids love.
These are just a few of our favorite ideas on making Halloween as healthy as it is fun. We want to hear your ideas too! Comment on this post and tell us how you make Halloween healthier!